Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Life Lessons At The Lake

We were at the cabin this past weekend with some friends and our kids learned a valuable life lesson. It was a dreary, rainy and cold weekend so we spent a lot of time inside. The girls spent a lot of time in the loft with their friends. On Saturday afternoon we started to smelling something, it smelled like burnt marshmallows. We searched the cabin with our noses trying to find out where the smell was coming from. Finally, we heard an "it's up here" from the loft. There was a lamp that was on the bed and covered by a blanket. The lamp had burned a whole through the blanket, bedspread, sheets and there was a hole in the mattress already. We feel very blessed that it wasn't worse and that God's hand of protection was over us. I think it would have been a matter of minutes and we would of had a full blown fire on our hands. We found out the kids had been playing doctor with the light and had layed it down. We had a very real teachable moment on our hands. So lesson #1 for the kids was don't put a lamp on a bed or blankets. It was a good eye opener for the moms and dads how quick something can happen with a hot light or bulb. So if you have lamps in your children's room talk to them about the danger of playing with them or putting blankets on them. It was quite traumatic for our little Emma since her blanket she's had since she was a baby was what burned. She did feel better when grammy said she'd get her a new one just like it. She still nightly talks about the fire so helpful there was a lesson learned through all of it. In the midst of it I totally missed getting some pictures. I guess when your in the midst of a crisis grabbing the camera is the last thing on your mind.

Here are some pictures of the kids enjoying the sand even though it was a little wet and chilly.







Life Lesson #2 .... if you are trying to help a turtle across the road so it doesn't get hit by a car be carful ..... it may be a snapping turtle!




3 comments:

The Kaylor Kastle said...

Praise God no one was hurt. We had a little lamp that lit up a palm tree in our old house and sure enough, one night a pillow fell off the back of the couch onto it. It was the smell that caught our attention as well. Scary and it's time like these when we see God's protection we pray for daily at work! A great life lesson for sure.

Beckyb said...

That was scary with the lightbulb - SO glad you got it in time - I'd say that was God's prompting!!!

Lori said...

Wow, I started to panic just reading this!! We had a big house fire (from a Christmas tree) when I was little, needless to say, it was devastating!! So I talk to our boys all the time about fire caution! I'm glad you found out before anything happened!!
Cute about the turtle! (had to end on a positive note!) :)

 
© Mom Of 4 Little Blessings

CoffeeShop Designs